Knoke Fine Arts

 

Knoke Fine Arts

25 Alexander Street
Marietta, GA 30060

Office Phone: 770.514.1766
Office Fax: 770.514.1683

Dave Knoke,
President

Debbie Charter,
Gallery Director

Office Hours:
Monday - Saturday: 11am-5pm
Also by Appointment

Consultants, Appraisers and Conservators of 19th and early 20th Century American Fine Art

FIND US ON FACEBOOK

GALLERY


Picture   Title: “Still Life”
Artist First Name: Roman
Artist Last Name: Chatov
Artist's Dates: 1900-1987
Materials: oil on board
Markings: signed lower left
Size: 31” x 25”
Price: contact gallery
Comments: This painting was exhibited in a show at The Marietta/Cobb Museum of Art, Marietta, GA with his brother, son and grandson. This painting is in excellent condition in a hand carved frame, also in excellent condition.

Roman Gregory Chatov was a Russian émigrés who enjoyed an accomplished career and captured the faces of high society from New York, Palm Beach and finally Atlanta. Roman was born in Rostov, Russia in 1900. Upon the rise of Lenin, in 1922, the Chatov family fled for New York. At this time Roman had prepared drawings for backstage productions which had appeared in Russian theatre magazines. President Roosevelt’s Works Project Administration (WPA) commissioned Roman to paint murals for the Ford and Palestinian Pavilions at the 1939 New York World’s Fair which led to many more commissioned murals throughout the country. One such mural was the commissioned mural for New York’s famous Russian Tea Room which now can be seen in the New York City Museum Collection. Roman was acquainted with many New York notables such as Florenz Ziegfield of Ziegfield Follies, who hired Roman to design various costumes and Willem De Kooning, with whom he shared a studio in the 1930’s. In the 1940’s Roman started painting portraits, many of which were carried by the Gerialdil Galleries. In 1961, Roman moved to Atlanta where he and his brother Constantine Chatov shared a studio and taught classes. His portraits hang in many homes and galleries across the Southeast and he was given the Governor’s Award from the Georgia Council for the Arts and Humanities in 1983.

Go back to the Gallery